Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

picture gallery 1

Here are the various types and brands of nappies from my stash (as of 19 April; I'm itching to get more).
Leah @ 3 months, weighing over 6kg


Nappy: Bumble
Manufacturer: Easy Peasy
Comments: The Bumble has a white terry cloth outer with white fleece inner that is fastened with either pins or a Nappi-n
ippa (aka Snappi). It has an optional insert - a rectangular length of a few terry layers - that can be snapped in one end inside. But Leah isn't wearing it in this picture. I find that with the insert the nappy becomes very bulky, although with the insert it can be used as a night-time nappy.
Leah used to be quite happy for a few hours in a Bumble as the fleece interior covers the inside of the nappy and kept her dry-ish. But she is a super soaker and now I think I need to boost this nappy with the insert. Or change her more frequently.
Also, the terry has gotten very stiff and hard washing in the &%
#!@ hard water here. Even flapping them vigorously to try to fluff up the fibres doesn't work. *sigh*

Wrap/ Cover: Bummis Whisper Super Snap
Manufacturer: Bummis
Comments: I fin
d Bummis wraps are pretty low rise and if you have a bulky nappy the fit isn't so good. They are however pretty trim over boosters and trim nappies (like the Diddy and Rainbow Tots). There are no leg gussets but I like the elastic gathers at the back and the leg openings - they are encased in lycra, so not as 'sharp' to the skin as the Mother-ease wraps' bindings.
For now there is still room for 'horizonta
l' growth in this wrap, but when Leah gets longer this wrap may reveal a 'builder's bum'!
I also bought the Bummis Whisper Super Wrap, which closes with Aplix, in Small. It is still OK (by a stretch) if I use a booster lined with fleece just for brief periods, but at the rate Leah's waist is expanding I shall need to put it away very very very soon.

Nappy: Diddy Diaper
Manufacturer: Nature Babies

Comments: This diaper would
be great for newborns. Too bad I didn't have it in Leah's first 2 months though. It is made of unbleached terry cloth (outer) with an unbleached cotton jersey (like t-shirt material) inner. It can be fastened with either pins or a Nappi-nippa (aka Snappi).
I like it as it is a very very trim nappy (Le
ah wears the Newborn size which allegedly fits up to 18 lbs depending on build) but it needs to be boosted: I can add a booster/insert outside the nappy (in between the nappy and wrap) for added absorbency to prevent the nappy from becoming too bulky.
I have also used this as an insert for a Small FuzziBunz and it seeme
d to work. Lasted Leah more than 2 hours in that combination.
There is no hidden waterproof layer so a cover is needed for this napp
y.

Nappy: Fuzzi Bunz
Manufacturer: Fuzzi Bunz
Comments: This is a pocket nappy, meaning there is no sewn in soaker layer to the nappy, just a pocket for laying in one's own absorbent material.
I find the rise of the FBs a bit low, truth be told, but they are great out-and-about nappies as they are trimmer than the 2-part system and I don't have to fiddle with a separate wrap if I need to change her while out.
As previously noted, I have used a Small FB stuffed to the brim with a Diddy Diaper and it didn't leak at all when used for a couple of hours. Previously though I had stuffed the Small with a Bumble insert along with a Mother-ease booster and the bulkiness made the pocket opening gape. There was too much nappy between the legs and there was some leakage of bf poo: never again will I overstuff FBs!

Nappy: Kissaluvs Colours
Manufacturer: Kissaluvs

Comments: Su
ch a beautiful nappy! Wonderfully soft, although it is stiffening with the hard water in my area. Made of cotton fleece (not to be confused with poly fleece used as nappy liners) like the insides of deluxe sweatshirts.
Leah is wearing a Size 1 and it should fit her for a while. I just wish I had bought fewer Mother-ease One Size nappies a
nd got these instead.
A cover is needed for this nappy. For this I normally use a Mother-ease Airflow.

Wrap/ Cover: Modern Baby cotton wrap
Manu
facturer: Modern Baby
Comments: The Modern Baby cotton/PUL wraps come in great colours and the cotton exterior is nice and soft. The inside P
UL layer seems to be quite thick -- thicker than the Mother-ease wraps anyway -- but because the exterior is cotton, when Leah wears this for long periods (e.g. in a car seat or pram), the wrap wicks.
Because this wrap closes with Aplix there is some flexibility in getting the waist to fit well. There are also leg gussets in this wrap so there is better leg containment. That said, with bulky nappies on a growing Leah, this wrap may not last long...sigh.

Nappy: Mother-ease One Size
Manufacturer: Mother-ease
Comments: The One Size is as can be inferred from its name, meant to be used from birth to potty training. But I have fo
und it incredibly bulky for a newborn. Leah is just beginning to look alright wearing it, and the nappy still needs to be folded for a shorter rise on her.
The terry material of the nappy is actually very nice and feels like a plush short pile carpet. It dries well and doesn't go as stiff as the Bumble. However, it does not seem to be as absorbent as I would have liked, which is a pity because it
is well made.

Wrap/Cover: Nature Babies
Manufacturer: Nature Babies
Comments: This wrap has an amazing number of poppers, which can be finicky to use especially since the wrap material is soft and elastic. There are 3 sets of poppers --- for the waist, legs and to shorten the rise of the front of the nappy. A great idea in theory, but quite difficult to master when trying to get everything on a wriggly baby.
Initially I was attracted to this wrap's m
any different colours and prints but it feels a bit rubbery and is not my favourite.

Nappy: Rainbow Tots
Manufacturer: Tots Bots
Comments: This is a terry nappy that is longer looped (is there such a phrase?) than the Bumble and consequently much softer. It comes with sewn-in booster and microfleece liner which can be a pain when I want to boost it differently.
However, it is a trim nappy and cute looking, even if it is not as absorbent as the Bumble. If I had known how soft and cute they are I think I would've bought more.

Nappy: Wee Wonder (Original)
Manufacturer: Wee Notions UK

Comments: I ordered bespoke nappies from this WAHM, choosing the colours and patterns for the microfibre exterior and inner fleece layers as well as the lycra binding. It came with a built-in insert that I can pull out
to dry after the nappy has been washed.
It is a very well constructed nappy (there are colour coordinated buttons to keep the 'wings' of the nappy flushed to the sides and there is hidden elastic used to adjust the leg openings) and it looks fab, but I am ambivalent about microfibre.
As it traps moisture between its fibres instead of within them like cotton, the slightest pressure on the nappy makes wee drip out. And with a super soaker like Leah there was a lot of wee to drip (on the floor, the bed...you get the picture) when I took the nappy out of the wrap to put into the nappy bin! It is also quite an expensive nappy.
With the original Wee Wonder there is no hidden PUL layer so I need to use a wrap over this nappy. If I had to do my ordering again I would've gotten Wee Wonder Pockets instead --- better for showing off too as then the nappy can be seen and not be covered by a wrap.

3 comments:

Flo said...

Congratulations! ;)

Little Doctor said...

gorgeous, gorgeous baby!
can't wait till my skinny little (4.5 week early, too) baby looks that cuddly.

r2d2isfree said...

thanks! it's been a hard slog to now. and as a premmie, leah had a longer colicky spell. even now if she's been over-stimulated in the day (e.g. if we go shopping) and she hadn't napped well, she can be terrible to please in the evenings.