Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, July 07, 2006

rants and raves

Rave
I found a great sling online, which I have used since Leah was 4 months old. This is a joined 2 pouch system that allows me to slot DD in without too much of a struggle from her. (DH thinks I look like that chap from Total Recall, the mutant with the extra person growing out of his chest.)

I was using a ringsling before, but then DD started to kick and scream when I tried to put her in it. At that stage she was still not able to hold her head well and I could only put her in either the cradle position or the breastfeeding hold. However, as mentioned, she didn't like the sling much for that. Hence the purchase of a MyBabyNest carrier. I didn't need to adjust the yards of cloth with a wriggly baby as well. A lifesaver. She does seem to like being in it. No complaints from her so far.

That said, now that Leah can hold her head properly, I have tried her in the ringsling again, this time in a modified snuggle hold (with her feet sticking out). And she's not objected. In fact, she managed to fall asleep once in it.

Rant
There's one thing that gets my goat in Malaysia and Singapore: seeing families out and about with the maid carrying the baby in a carrier. Anything wrong with this cosy fam scenario?

Hel-lo, baby carriers are meant to help parents with bonding!!! It's like these daddies and mommies think it's cool that it's the help who does the 'menial' task of carrying their children.

I have also been to one baby support group where one mommy brought along her maid. When it came time to do the nappy changing, her maid did it. The mom's main complaint --- and she wanted the rest of us to give our advice --- was how to cope with a baby that wants to feed incessantly and cries all the time, because "the maid has housework to do too." (I was agog, but didn't say what was on my mind: How about YOU take over and carry the baby when it cries then.) When they left, the maid put on a sarong sling and carried the baby.
I have no time for these part-time parents!

No comments: