Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, May 19, 2006

ditching disposables

It is confirmed: I hate disposable diapers.

For the past 2 weeks we have been completely on cloth nappies, even for nights, as I was tired of suffering blow-out leaks with disposables (aka "sposies") in the morning when I give Leah her wake-up feed. She only poos about 1-3 times a day now: once in the morning and another in the late afternoon, so all that stored poo is usually quite explosive!

I thought that the reason why sposies don't contain leaks well is because they are not tight-fitting enough at the back. So when I found a brand (naffly called Pet Pet) that seemed to have enough gathers I thought it might solve the blow-out problem. However, even these did not work and one afternoon I had the joy of trying to get a poo-caked onesie off Leah without staining her too much.

The other reason why I despise sposies is the smell they give off when full of wee. It is a nasty chemically stink that is much worse than just wee alone.

Anyway, at the moment I use PUL pocket nappies stuffed with a very absorbent hemp-fleece insert. This seems to do OK. I only change DD after she's had her first breakfast course --- waiting sometimes to see if she 'delivers' --- and then continue with the feed.

It is quite liberating to finally be able to stop worrying about blow-out leaks, but now I have to contend with what to do about washing my nappies when vacationing (in Asia there aren't a lot of self-service laundromats around)!

No comments: